Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Anatomy of a Swing Coat.

This cradle of 1940's joy, a sapphire-ink colored coat came from Shrimpton Couture.  I love to find vintage fashion that defines a period and when it is so well preserved, I feel like I've been handed an extra slice of cake.

This is a coat that you can feel transported in, hopefully there will be no penny in the pocket (catch the reference?).  Just like vintage suits, I have a deep fondness for vintage coats.  In addition to the glamourous princess coats of the early 50s, I also love the coats that were a precursor to this look that you might have seen a remarkable young lady or a stylish woman wear in the late 1940's.  I believe this coat to be from this time.  Whenever I look through the fashion magazines of this period, my heart does skip a beat so it is certainly a period of fashion that I can truly immerse myself in.

Do you have certain blocks of time that you tune into as well?  I'd say a block in the late 30s, a block in the mid and late 40's, and one last block in the early 50's.   In the whole scheme of fashion, not really a big time frame.


This coat is also very interesting in that depending upon what light is focused on it, it can appear to be a blue/purple blue hued coat or a dark blue coat.  When I tried this coat on, I immediately thought I would like to experiment a little with light and dark.

This is something I'd like to experiment more with in the future, achieving a vintage look with natural light against contrasts of light and dark elements.



Outfit details:
Hat: Hattie Carnegie, blue velvet
Earrings:Schiaparelli
Coat: Peggy Barton (wish I could find more on this designer but there is nothing out there)
Gloves: Dior
Suit (not seen) Lilli Ann
Scarf: Vintage
(All items were bought at very reasonable prices and in many cases quite a steal-of-a-deal.)  
This is the great thing about vintage you can wear designer labels for a fraction of what you'd pay for a designer labeled item today.

Check out the peplum detail on the hips.  I do wish this coat had pockets but this was the style in the late 40's.





I always find it charming when a label inside a garment is hand stitched around the edges.  I'm sure not much time to put this label on by hand but it certain adds a couture element.  It's all in the small details..isn't it?







I found a cobbler not too far away that can fix up vintage shoes.  I was so happy he could save these 40's strappy shoes.  They didn't have really very much wear when I got them but the strap was almost falling off.  The leather had become dry.  I gave the shoes a good conditioning and off to the cobbler they went.  The cobbler was able to fix this strap for me before I lost it completely which was pretty close to happening.  






I am also very excited to share that I am in the process of organizing a fall photo shoot.  The one I did last year  , here, and here was so much fun that I thought I might try it again this year at a different location. 

I'm also going to see if I might get in my Dior "New Look" creation.  I put together a "Bar suit" that is very similar in nature to Dior's Bar suit (1947) almost a year ago and never quite found the right opportunity to present this.   The suit and skirt are vintage and are from around this time period.  It is not the true Dior but a great recreation attempt based upon actual vintage.   More images here.










22 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous coat! Love all of the fabulous details and the color as well as the rest of your outfit and accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisa, I love saying your name because it so reminds me of My Fair Lady.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful peplum detail, I love hand stitched labels it really does make such a difference. That's wonderful you have trusty cobbler, I swear by finding a good cobbler and a good tailor x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need a really good tailor who understands vintage. Last time I went to a tailor the tailor ironed my rayon dress resulting in a shine mark!

      Delete
  3. The coat is just gorgeous! I love how the coat curves to the waist .. coats these days are roomier and always look so boxy.

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I also don't quite understand the low rise jean fad, when will this end? I'm thinking pant designers like it because it is less material to incorporate haha.

      Delete
  4. This coat is a vision of resplendent vintage beauty. I adore the detailing, the rich, midnight navy blue, the length and element of swing to the bottom. It suits you in the utmost degree and is so very, very gorgeous.

    How exciting that you have another fall photo shoot in the works! We've been getting rain, rain and more rain here lately, but hopefully it will lift soon so that I can get in one or two autumn foliage filled shoots, too.

    Big hugs & joyful weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great word! Resplendent! Love it:) Thank you for the kind words sweet Jessica. I've been enjoying your blog entries on your trip. I hope you get some nice fall days in soon!

      Delete
  5. A simply stunning coat! Amazingly beautiful and it suits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Joanna that coat is beyond words! It is sooo beautiful and a piece of art. Wow. My breath has been taken away!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a gorgeous swing coat- and you do it justice. I like seeing it in different conexts- moody indoors, and pensive outdoors. Lovely color, cut and fit. You make vintage look like a delicious bit of poetry- something to treasure once discovered and made into your own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely coat. I was recently given a 50s batwing black wool coat. It's so sensational. I know you'd love to see it. I'll have to feature it on my blog for the readers to salivate over. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do dear Sean, I'd love to see it!!

      Delete
  9. Very smart my dear, that heavenly coat is perfect for the cooler weather. I adore the colour and how you've accessorised it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the coat!!!! Ugh! I'm still on the hunt for a vintage coat!!! Hope I'm as lucky as you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this coat! the color is perfect and the details are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some absolutely amazing vintage pieces. Not only do they look incredible in quality but you look so beautiful in them like they were made for you!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful color and cut! I really like the little vented peplums too. Super girly frill on such a classy piece is fun!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone for all your thoughtful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This coat is a stunner! Thank you for sharing!

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete